The MLK Day of Service is a way to transform Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s life and teachings into community action that helps solve social problems. That service may meet a tangible need or it may meet a need of the spirit. On this day Americans of every age and background celebrate Dr. King through service projects that strengthen communities, empower individuals, bridge barriers, and create solutions.
JOIN US FOR A DAY OF SERVICE
January 20, 2014
Starting at 7:45 AM
203 E Brannen Ave, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Schedule of Events for the Day
7:45 am: Kickoff – Murdoch Community Center
8:00 am: Teams headout to projects (you can go straight there if you have reserved a spot)
2:00 pm: Project wrap up. Volunteers are invited to return to Mudoch to join in the march
2:30 pm: Start march to NAU (<1 mile)
(you choose the location and the project)
1) Flagstaff Food Bank
- Food Box Preparation
- Wood Splitting
- Dry Packing
- Material Inventory and Sorting
2) Flagstaff Family Food Center
- Food Prep
- Children’s MLK Birthday Celebration
3) Killup Adult Education
- Basic Computer training/tutoring (Spanish speakers wanted!)
4) Civic Service Institute
- Blood Drive
5) Rio De Flag Watershed Clean Up
- Help clean up a recently restored section of the Rio De Flag across from Warners Nursery on Butler Ave.
- We will provide snacks and fruit, trash bags, gloves, and litter pickers. Bring your water bottle and a hat.
- Kids are welcome and encouraged! Focus area is not close to the road and is in a secure parking lot.
- The City of Flagstaff Stormwater Section recently completed a maintenance project on the Rio de Flag that will allow the Rio to flow through to the I-40 wetland area immediately downstream. Previously this area had been backing up creating a potential flood hazard during peak flows such as monsoon season or spring snow melt off events.
- Since the reach has been opened for the first time the accumulation of trash is a serious concern. We want to prevent it from getting to the wetland area before the next precipitation event.
To reserve a project, please contact Brian Wallace with your selection (groups welcome) or come by the Murdoch Center to pick one.
Made possible in part by a grant from the Beyond Belief Network
We are fundraising for the Murdoch Community Center, a critical resource for Flagstaff that needs our support. Please consider donating by clicking below and including “Murdoch” in the purpose decsiption.